How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Department of Oceanography at Florida State University. Below are instructions for completing the application process. Please follow the directions carefully. Be aware that when you apply, you are in essence applying to two separate offices: the Department of Oceanography, and the Florida State University Office of Graduate Admissions. Do not send materials meant for one to the other.
To Apply to the Department of Oceanography:
1. Personal Information Form: Fill this out completely. If you do not have the results of your tests scores yet, please indicate when these will be available. Report GPAs on a 4.0 scale.
2. Statement of Interest: State your reasons for choosing our department and your academic goals here. You may wish to include information about your academic background and experience.
3. Three Letters of Recommendation: There is no specific form for these letters; university letterhead is fine.
4. It is strongly recommended that you include with your application to our department unofficial copies of the offical test results and transcripts you will be sending to the Office of Graduate Admissions, which will enable us to evaluate your folder more quickly. Mail the above items directly to the Department of Oceanography, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4320. We cannot consider your application folder until all of these materials have been received.
***In addition, after reviewing the list of faculty included in our departmental brochure, you may directly contact the faculty member(s) whose research interests most closely parallel your own. The department does not admit students without a faculty sponsor.***
- PDF Application for Doctoral and Thesis Masters Programs
- PDF Application for Masters Program in Aquatic Environmental Science
To view the Portable Document Format file (PDF) online or after you download it you may need to download a free copy of Acrobat Reader.
If you would like a hard copy of this form, or if you would like a full-color graduate information packet, or if you have any questions regarding our program, please contact the department's academic coordinator:
Department of Oceanography
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4320
PHONE: (850) 644-7443
If you are submitting an application to our department on-line, you will need to request an application to the university. If you receive our brochure via snailmail, a university application will be included with the departmental application.
To Apply to the FSU Office of Admissions:
1. U.S. or International Application Form: Read the instructions for this form carefully. Fill the form out completely. The form must be sent to the FSU Graduate Admissions office. The Certification of Financial Responsibility should be sent to the department.
2. $30 application fee: A check or money order should be made payable to The Florida State University. This fee is not optional. The Office of Graduate Admissions will not process your application without it. The Department of Oceanography has no mechanism by which we can request a waiver or pay the fee for you.
3. Two official transcripts: These documents are required from every university, college or school you have attended. The Office of Graduate Admissions will not accept copies.
4. Official test results: Your application must include GRE scores. If you are a international applicant, you must include TOEFL scores. These two requirements cannot be waived, postponed, or dismissed. The Office of Admissions will not process your application without them.
5. Mail the above items directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions, Mail Code 2400. Do not send any of these items to the Department of Oceanography. All your materials will be forwarded to our office as soon as Admissions has processed them.
The department admits new students year round, though most of the faculty tend to admit students in spring to begin their studies in the fall semester. The following are general university deadlines, please refer to the Department of Graduate Admissions for more specific information.
- Spring - November of previous year
- Summer - March of current year
- Fall - July of current year
- Spring - July of previous year
- Summer - November of previous year
- Fall - March of current year
You are advised to submit your application and supporting materials at least three months in advance of the semester you wish to enter.
For further general information on funding opportunities, news and events, electronic thesis and dissertation (ETD) guidelines, degree programs and certificate programs, fee waivers, as well as links to staff contact information, a searchable scholarship database, important forms for students and much more, visit the Office of Graduate Studies web site.